Just found out Pandemonium is a finalist for the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, and the book’s in some amazing company:
- Carol Berg, Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone (Roc)
- Daryl Gregory, Pandemonium (Del Rey)
- Ursula K. Le Guin, Lavinia (Harcourt)
- Patricia A. McKillip, The Bell at Sealey Head (Ace)
- Gene Wolfe, An Evil Guest (Tor)
The award is given out by the Mythopoeic Society, a group of scholars, writers, and readers who like strange words and are especially interested in the work of J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, and the rest of their literary circle, known as “The Inklings.” (Note to self: stop calling it “hanging out with my friends” — it’s a “literary circle.” Much cooler.) The society gives out the award in July at their annual conference, MythCon, which is at UCLA this year. I wish I could attend, but the budget, alas, is tapped out.